Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cg5 mount axis locks loose - how to tighten?

skir

Well this is a bit of a disaster. First clear night in ages and my mount is having issues! Basically I turn the clutches to lock the axis but there is still movement from the scope, the clutches can't go any tighter because the plastic motor housing impedes them. Is there a way of adjusting the clutches so I can get a greater range of movement from the clutch knights and provide more clamping force?

I balanced the scope before I started so that should be OK.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

OK thanks I did have a bit of a go at those screw's but it was in the dark so I think I need to have a closer look at them in the warmth and light. I re- balanced the scope again and this seemed to sort it out. The clutches don't seem all that strong to me as I'm not really overburdening the mount.

I definitely think the clutch levers need adjustment though.

By the way are the plastic motor covers just there for aesthetics? Do people run this mount with the covers removed at all or would that be unwise?

OK well I've got the clutch levers sorted. Was really just a case of unscrewing the levers and then tightening up the square brass nut like thing and the reattaching the clutch lever. The lock is much firmer now.

skir,

When I took off the plastic housing to fit my new saddle there was quite a bit of grease which is understandable as you need to keep the gears well lubed, so I would suggest making sure that the covers go back on. Don't want to end up covered in grease and also keeping the covers off could mean that contaminants could be attracted.

skir,

When I took off the plastic housing to fit my new saddle there was quite a bit of grease which is understandable as you need to keep the gears well lubed, so I would suggest making sure that the covers go back on. Don't want to end up covered in grease and also keeping the covers off could mean that contaminants could be attracted.

No worries malc I was just wondering what the covers were for if anything. I've not taken them off as I resolved my problem as posted above. :D

Archived