NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Back and Forth RA Drift (GM-8)

thenews24

During my drift alignment sessions, I have noticed not matter high precise I get, the star is always slipping east or west. It's slight and only occurs every few minutes, but enough to cause trails in my images.

I thought this might be a power issue, because it seems it dies the RA dies just enough to drift west before throttling back up and drifting eats again. What is even weirder is, this back and forth motion in RA seems like the mount is trying to perfrom PEC, although it is off and I have never used it.

Anyone experienced this. I;m hoping it's a power supply issue, not worm gear. Currently am supplying 12v @ 3amps. Was doing 12v @ 1amp but was told to try more amperage, still problem persist.

It could be a balance issue , if everything is 'perfectly' balanced it could be showing up the slight play in the gearing.

I believe that making the mount slightly 'east heavy' makes sure that the gears are engaged in such a way that the motor is always driving with the teeth engaged .

here have been a couple of threads on this matter , I'll try and dig them out.

Archived