Another what eyepiece post.....

Nephalem

Hi,

Being a total beginner I am unsure what EP to get for an Altair Wave Series 80mm F6 Super ED Triplet APO.

I will be using the scope for imaging but obviously doing some observing as well.

I was thinking about getting some from the Explore Scientific range....but not sure what AFOV and MM to get.....any suggestions ?

Cheers.

Hi, the 80 deree series is the only one I have tried and am pretty impressed. Not being able to afford the wider field ones I have decided to stick to these when the s/h opportunities come up. Really it's up to you, that's a pretty smart telescope you have there so any ES will produce great results.

My experience is that I buy them second-hand to start with so that I can try them out. I have always worked on the basis of trial and error. As to focal legnths that depends on what you want to view, but have you checked out Warthog' excellent guide here:

So you will need a low power for DSO's, say a 32mm (I prefer the TeleVue Plossl) or perhaps the ES/82 series 30mm

You will need a medium range ep 14mm or 18mm ES/80 series

And you will need a short focal length, say 6.7mm ES/80 series for example

I have the ES/80 series 14mm and it is a very fine ep. So it's all really down to your viewing preferences. Good luck!

Hi, the 80 deree series is the only one I have tried and am pretty impressed. Not being able to afford the wider field ones I have decided to stick to these when the s/h opportunities come up. Really it's up to you, that's a pretty smart telescope you have there so any ES will produce great results.

My experience is that I buy them second-hand to start with so that I can try them out. I have always worked on the basis of trial and error. As to focal legnths that depends on what you want to view, but have you checked out Warthog' excellent guide here: http://stargazerslou...least-you-need/

So you will need a low power for DSO's, say a 32mm (I prefer the TeleVue Plossl) or perhaps the ES/82 series 30mm

You will need a medium range ep 14mm or 18mm ES/80 series

And you will need a short focal length, say 6.7mm ES/80 series for example

I have the ES/80 series 14mm and it is a very fine ep. So it's all really down to your viewing preferences. Good luck!

Many thanks for replying Robin......I have an option to test some out so will have a look at the options you suggested :-)

Archived