Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2x Barlow and Zoom eyepiece dilemma.

M4lcs67

Have been looking at my set-up and thinking if I would be better selling my Celestron Ultima 2x barlow and buying a Hyperion Zoom?

My reasoning is this. I currently have 3 Hyperions, 24mm, 17mm, 10mm and also the fine tuning rings.

Now the 24mm cannot be altered with the ftr's, so this is where the barlow would be handy as I could convert the 24 to a 12 by adding the barlow in any case. On the flip side I have a 10mm Hyperion which is only 2mm away from the barlowed 24mm. Adding to that if I did use the barlowed 24mm it would start to degrade the image by virtue of the fact that you are putting more glass in the way?

On the case of my 17mm Hyperion, if I put the 14mm ftr in it converts it to a 13.1mm eyepiece, which again is not that far away from the barlowed 24mm.

Working on the basis of all my Hyperion and ftr combinations, I have pretty much all bases covered. However I have thought that the convenience of having one adjustable eyepiece in the scope would be quite beneficial (no more faffing around trying to switch eyepieces all the time). Obviously there is a trade off in the 24mm zone where you don't get the 68 degree fov that you get with the fixed focal length 24mm. I cannot see it being a huge problem and if it did I could still switch from the zoom to the fixed focal ep anyway.

I did kind of scoff at the mere thought of the Hyperion zoom before, but the more I think about it the more I think it could be a very good solution.

If I was in your shoes I'd sell the barlow and 17mm, to help fund the zoom.

I'd keep the 24mm, because I know I would not like to go back to a smaller fov. I'd also keep the 10mm and FTRs, because I've noticed comments about the zoom's view at 8-10mm being on the soft side. You could always sell the 10mm and FTRs later if you're happy with the view.

Archived