Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Evostar 102 or Startravel 120 for mainly terrestrial viewing

Hi I am hoping to get either in the next few months.It was researching this site that I have an 8" Dob & 25x70 bins & intend to keep them until I ever trade up. It will be combined with an AZ4 steel legged tri-pod. The ST120 can be stepped down to give a longer focal ratio & I have no interest in AP. I live on a hill with with 190* wiews up to 30miles.I would appreciate some feedback from past/present owners of these scopes for purely terrestrial viewing as I think I know the advantages/disadvantages in astronomy viewing.Sorry about the long post & thanks in advance

Hi Joe,

Had an st 120 for my grab & go scope, used to go everywhere, back seat, roof box or boot!...Impervious to snow, sand and dog slobber....It is an ideal terrestial scope as it has a great apperture, light weight for its size and would give bright images. The short tube would be ideal, , Drawback some give a bit of barrel distortion and a small amount of ca.

Cheers

Hi Damian

I was trawling back through past threads regarding the ST120 & discovered it was your posts that pointed me towards this scope. As you still endorse it I am now on the lookout for a used one with the seller willing it ship to N. Ireland. I was hoping you could help me out with the following quieries

- what eyepiece do you use to get the clearest, highest magnification reasonablly possible for terrestrial viewing?

- what type of mount do you mainly use?

Again thanks in advance

Joe G

Archived