NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mirror clean?

I was planning on buying a Skywatcher 200 dob later in the year and so I've been sticking to my bins whilst I saved the pennies but a couple of weeks ago I spotted a Heritage 76 mini-dob on gumtree for £15. Couldn't resist in the end and it's now sat on my desk. Seemed rude not to have a play for £15!

The question is, should I attempt to dust off the mirror? It's not filthy by any means but it has clearly been sat with the dust cap off for some time. In fact, it arrived uncapped and for a while I thought the cap was missing until I spotted it pushed onto the mirror end of the tube. The previous owner said it was an unwanted gift and only used once. My guess is that the cap was pushed onto the base to keep it safe and then completely forgotten. Is it worth blowing some air in from a bike pump or attaching a camera lens brush / cloth onto a stick and trying to give it a bit of a clean or just leave it alone?

I've got the finder scope lined up and it all seems to be ok in general terms (looking at inverted chimneys). I know it's not much, but it'll hopefully be an improvement on the shaky views I get from my bins and either I'll lust after the 200P even more or I'll tire of star gazing and I've only lost £15 :-)

Archived