Jupiter, 14th Feb with the ASI120MC

JamesF

I feel as if I learnt a lot from my previous outing with this camera and during my imaging session last Thursday it felt as if things were going a good deal better than they have previously. Whether it's true or not I feel a bit more in control of FireCapture than just "along for the ride". I'm still not sure I'm reaching the same level as I did with the SPC900, but on the other hand the seeing hasn't been stunning of late when last Autumn we did have a couple of days of outstanding seeing. And of course Jupiter is becoming an ever-harder target.

I'd like a bit more contrast in the colours as I'm sure there's more detail than is at first apparent and I think I'm still getting quite an imbalance towards the blue end of the spectrum which I've tweaked out a little. Now I know how to adjust the camera I might wind that back a bit next time out. I'm not sure next time out will see Jupiter as the target though. It's becoming distinctly less rewarding now as well as being available for less time and I quite fancy spending some time doing a bit of wide field imaging and visual observing.

Anyhow, here we go. The four images I'm happiest with from the 14th. 127 Mak, 2.5x barlow, ASI120MC, processed using PIPP, AS!2 and Registax v6 (for wavelets).

montage1.png

James

Hi James, I agree that the ASI120MC needs some serious testing to determine the optimum Gain/Gamma relationship for each subject. The Image File gamma of today's sensors are usually enhanced to compensate for the lack of linearity on LCD monitors (CRT's were much better) so we might be getting the contrast but can't see it. I've yet to test and compare the Raw Data option which should be linear and less likely to clip if pushed in Photoshop. This camera represents yet another learning curve and I reckon I could spend the rest of my earthly tenure sodding around with these gadgets rather than enjoying the view!

More soon.

Bud

Archived