Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro Strip and rebuild

JKB

Well after all the months of cloud I decided to strip, clean and tighten up the HEQ5.

I followed Astrobaby's wonderful walkthrough http://www.astro-baby.com/heq5-rebuild/heq5-m1.htm and am now in possession of the smoothest quietest HEQ5 you can imagine! (well apart from AB's)

Just want to say that it really was a straightforward job, easy to do and well worth it. Don't be scared to do it. If you can use a screwdriver and an allen key hurry up and do it!!

Thanks Astrobaby and clear skies to all :laugh:

Cheers

Jamie

JKB glad it worked out for you :) i always advise caution because otherwise I get an in box full of people with stripped threads.

These mojnts can be made lovely and quiet and smooth with some assistance and sympathetic tuning.

Clear skies to you :)

Yes I guess I was a little flippant. But this has to be the one good thing to do with this lovely mount.

Take your time and read Astrobabys write up and you can't really go wrong. I was amazed at the amount of gloop in the bearings/surfaces within and well worth the few hours, especially with the amount of cloudy ones we have!

The HEQ5 is now half as noisy and tracking much better

Thanks AB

Jamie

Archived