Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

meade #494

OK i have bought one of these meade ds2114 little reflector with a goto and the meade #494 handset ,

from the off this hasn't worked properly and i'm waiting to see if the seller is going to give me a refund,

the handset for ages said motor fault , i did a little strip down and made sure the motors weren't blocked or jammed, all good in the hood,

when I've restarted everything the handset asks me to hit keys in a certain order then says "auto star test done" and that's it , it wont move from that screen, every time i power up this happens..

i'm not getting motor error now just this test sequence over and over again its doing my head in..

is there a reset sequence or is it naffed i'm hoping for a refund , if its not given i'll sell it as parts and spares or repair..

The reset feature appears to be a part of the menu options, so unless the handset is displaying the Select Item: Setup Option I cannot see how you will get to it.

It should be Select Item -> Setup -> Reset, then Enter.

When you have the message displayed are you pressing Mode several times afterwards, this is the "normal" method of getting to the usual menu options.

From experience I would not take the message Motor Fault to mean a motor fault, can I ask if you are using rechargeable in the battery pack. I received that message and found that connecting my battery pack in even when empty caused it (had made a small mod to use a mains supply). No plastic holder meant no error, plastic battery holder in place so I didn't lose it meant Motor Error message. Scope is fine and works perfectly as long as the plactic holder is not present.

Cannot locate anything that mentions the Auto Star Test. Equally the #494 you have could have different software to the one I have.

One thing: Power up the scope, wait 5 seconds power off then power it on again. Mine often does not start correct at the first switch on.

i cant get out of the screen , i do press mode i pressed them all loads of times now in different sequences , i'm using a 12v power pack so it wont be the batteries.i'm thinking it's the handset .. will other model meade handsets work with this base as i have seen a few on ebay might be worth a try before ditching it..

Earlier 494's will/may not have the scope model in the list to choose from.

Probably will have the ETX60 and ETX70, however the ETX80 and yours came out later and so earlier 494's may not know about them.

Will be a way to "Hack" it = change the motor ratios in the handset but no idea what the values would be.

Same if you bought the 497 handset, it would need you to set the scope up as an ETX90 with changed motor rations.

Could probably get the new values from Weasner's or ask on CN.

Cannot find anything about as handset test sequence via buttons, or the menu tree for that matter.

Don't suppose that you have gone into a Train Drives or Calibrate Motors option and then aborted it?

Just wondering if the data has been wiped waiting for you to run through the sequence, however that should still allow a reset.

something else has come up on booting up once or twice it just says sending data? then after resetting it just goes back into that test mode i basically have to press the buttons in order enter,mode,goto,north,south,east,west,scroll up,speed,scroll down.

after that i get the autostar test done..

i have left it for a long time to see if it is thinking or connecting to anything but an hour is a little bit silly . after resetting it on off button and unplugging an plugging the handset back in loads of times i give up .. i'm just hoping the seller feels an ounce of remorse and refunds me or at least a partial refund..

loooks like it will be sold as spares or repairs shortly..

Archived