Newbie looking at Jupiter

Hi All. I am a complete novice. I recently bought a Skywatcher 1145p and have been looking at Jupiter. My question is this....What is the best lens for the best results? I have the barlow lens x 2 and have tried this with both the super 10mm and the wide angle 25mm. At the moment i am getting varied results with both. If i have to buy another lens for greater results what should i buy? ( now thats two questions!!)

Many Thanks in advance

Paul

With the Skywatcher scopes you need to replace the 10mm as they're not up to much (thats my opinion but i'm not alone.), i'd advise an 8mm BST they get good reviews on here & are a good price, you'll find the image alot clearer & the eye relief more comfortable than the 10mm stock Skywatcher.

Steve

Unsure of the focal length, either 500mm as stated or 570mm if you take diameter and f number.

Either way aim for about 80x, so 6mm or 7mm.

Find it easier to specify a magnification then determine the eyepiece.

With the Skywatcher scopes you need to replace the 10mm as they're not up to much (thats my opinion but i'm not alone.), i'd advise an 8mm BST they get good reviews on here & are a good price, you'll find the image alot clearer & the eye relief more comfortable than the 10mm stock Skywatcher.

Steve

Have a look at this http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/171875-bst-8mm/

I'll have to look into a new eye piece then.

I found the Skywatcher 10mm awful to look through, like a pinhole, I replaced it with a Meade 5000 HD60 9mm (pricey tho) & the difference is amazing, but i've read alot of good things about the BST's. Btw, i found the Skywatcher 25mm fine.

Steve

Archived