Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tripod positioning and EQ5..

simonmc

With the hopefull arrival of my EQ5 mount in the next few days, i started to realise that i had nothing suitable to mount it to, as it was just the head. Well i went and rummaged through my astro stuff thats in the usefull pile and found 3 tripod legs that i bought from astroboot a couple of years ago. These were going to be an upgrade for the slt mount, but never got any further. This got me thinking...

I have been 'allowed' to construct a pier, but thats going to be a summer project. A quick look on astroboot again had a tripod top for a 'maybe eq4' mount and small upgrade for the RDF finder for the slt on its way. I could not really resist as it was only a fiver, and is the same sort of browny/grey hammerite paint the tripod legs have, and the from the photo on ebay, the mount. I havent a clue if it will fit but i may be able to modify it. Attached is the pic of the mount. and i know it has weight lifting weights on it. lol

post-28316-0-47397600-1360149714_thumb.j

Anyway to the point. These tripod legs have a rubber foot, but if this is pulled off there is a sort of spike. As the whole garden is patio slabs, could i not make up some little sockets from stainless or alloy to fit the spikes, drill a larger hole into the patio slabs and the silicone the cup in. Would this not give a positive, secure, and repeatable location for the tripod with some sort of vibration pads build in? Also when the tripod is not set up there will not be anything for the little ones to trip over.

What do you good people think?

Simon

Well there is that i suppose! What i was wondering was would the addition of some sort of silcone to the holes make any difference? My reasoning behind this is that one of the manufactures (Celestron?) sells anti-vibtation feet for tripods.

Simon

I just drilled my slabs with a hole that 'bites' on the spikes on the Berlebach tripod I use ,

It sits absolutely solid , I always suspect that rubber mounting feet will introduce more movement in breezy conditions .

I don't worry about vibrations transmitting to be honest , if I'm using the kit visually I find any vibration is caused by me clonking something or focusing manually , and if I'm in imaging mode I set up the laptop well away from the tripod on the end of 20m active USB leads and run the mount , camera and focuser from a safe ( and this time of year warm ) distance.

Archived