NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fitting a filter between 1100D and SWE200p....is it possible?

Hi All

I asked a similar question in a different thread but not sure it was in the right place, so I will ask here.

I want to fit a filter (or just a protective clear cover) between my 1100d and SWE200p so i can protect the camera sensor from dust.

I have the T mount required and the 200p has direct camera attachments, but, I am not sure if you are able to fit a filter somewhere in-between these.

I have searched online and can not find anything that answers my question so that I feel confident about a purchase of any filters etc.

Any help or advice would be very gratefully received as I am finding myself at a dead end here.

Thanks in advance

Jez

Hi Psychobilly

Im using this http://www.365astronomy.com/celestron-tring-for-canon-eos-35mm-and-digital-slr-cameras-p-139.html

and using the direct connection supplied with the 200p. i.e unscrewing the 1/14" ep adaptor and connecting t ring to that.

I am not sure if there is a difference between T mount, T thread, T ring..... :confused: :confused: are they the same thing?

hope this makes sense and you understand which parts I have.

Thanks for your Help

The T thread is tge direct connection and you use a T-ring ot T-Adaptor to connect this to the camera...

I wouldn't bother with the clear filter clip-in - I guess your worried about dirt and dust getting onto the cameras sensor? I wouldnt be... with the shutter closed then your not going to get too many problems

If you have any LP especially if its the good old fashioned orange sodium variety then I would consider the Astronomik CLS instead...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk HD

The T thread is tge direct connection and you use a T-ring ot T-Adaptor to connect this to the camera...

I wouldn't bother with the clear filter clip-in - I guess your worried about dirt and dust getting onto the cameras sensor? I wouldnt be... with the shutter closed then your not going to get too many problems

If you have any LP especially if its the good old fashioned orange sodium variety then I would consider the Astronomik CLS instead...

Peter...

Thanks for the reply.

Yes you are right, I am worried about the dust and dirt. I am of the thinking that, if you are doing long exposures the shutter would be open for long periods and give dust the chance to get in. I just dont want to give dust any chance of getting near the sensor.

I dont really have much of a problem with LP, so I dont think it necessary to go for the CLS. I know camera gear is always expensive but are you aware of a cheaper alternatives?.

Cheers

Jez

Baader Planetarium do a EOS T-adaptor that can take 2" filters But thats more expensive than the Astronomik MC clip in filter...

Peter

Yes, i just found that. Hmm, Im thinking that the Astronomik MC is the one then. Are you, or anyone else, aware of any problems that may arise if i use the Astronomik MC?

Seriously looking like I am going to have to fork out MORE £££'s. I will have to pick up my wallet from A&E as Iv already given it several coronaries this week

I have used DSLR's that have had their sensor filters removed on my scopes without worrying about dust.. My scopes were fracs and an SCT though so were essentially closed...

The 1100D's sensor front filter elements is possibly coated to help stop dust "sticking" and auto cleaning - ultrasoniic vibration on startup or power down or through the menus whenever you feel you need it... all you would probably need in addition is a rocket blower...

If you really want a filter between then you can buy a 2" T adapter with a 2" filter thread on it. Assuming you can get focus with it the you can buy a uv/ir filter or a standard lp filter and screw it on the front. Then put the adapter in to your 2" focuser. But this will still cost £60 ish.

As Peter said tho i really dont think there is anything to worry about, i used my 500d on my 200p newt the same way you are using it and never had a problem with dust or dirt.

Have you considerd the skywatcher coma corrector? I know its not a filter but the lens protects the camera and you have nice sharp stars right to the edge.

I have the same setup as you and I am very happy with it. My camera stays on the scope, and after a year the sensor is still clean. I didnt buy it to protect the camera, I quickly realised that it was in my opinion a necessity to achieve nice tight stars.

Jason.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Have you considerd the skywatcher coma corrector? I know its not a filter but the lens protects the camera and you have nice sharp stars right to the edge.

I have the same setup as you and I am very happy with it. My camera stays on the scope, and after a year the sensor is still clean. I didnt buy it to protect the camera, I quickly realised that it was in my opinion a necessity to achieve nice tight stars.

Jason.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Hi Jas, thanks for the advice

It wasn't really a filter I wanted as such, just some protection for the sensor. I have read about the coma corrector on another thread but wasn't sure if it would be what i needed, and kind of wanted something a little less expensive. It does sound like a good bit of kit though.

Hmm so much to consider, but everyones post is helping the decision making.

thanks

jez

Archived