Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using SCT 6.3FR with Skywatcher Evostar ED80

Hi

I read somewhere that others were having good results using the Skywatcher Evostar ED80 with a SCT 6.3 focal reducer. Now I don't mind buying the dedicated SW flattener but I thought I'd give it a go as I've got the SCT one here already.

Conditions weren't particularly wonderful here last night but for once there were stars!!!! I thought I'd try this combination out on/around M42. Attached is an unprocessed sub of two minutes which is showing some odd effects on the stars. It was guided using PHD and I couldn't see any nasty spikes anywhere in the graph.

Quick summary of bits used...

1) SW ED80

2) An AC304 2" eyepiece fitting to SCT visual back thread adaptor http://www.scopesnsk...eadadaptor.html

3) The Celestron 6.3 FR

4) SCT to T thread adapter

5) Extension tube(s)

6) Canon 1000D

In step 5, I tried various lengths from the Celestron DSLR connector (93633-A) which resulted in not enough in focus, down to just a 5mm tube which would focus. Unfortunately got clouded out before I could get a satisfactory image.

a) Am I wasting my and your time?

B) Has anyone got this working?

c) Any suggestions?

Just thought it odd that others have supposedly got this working - any ideas on if it will work? Is it spacing? However I do appreciate it may be a case of square pegs and round holes!

Thanks in advance

Andy

post-3417-0-76319900-1359931623.jpg

post-3417-0-69711600-1359931635_thumb.jp

Archived