Skywatcher 130p or Skywatcher 127 Mak what should I buy

Hi

I am a newbie I would like to know what Telescope I should buy, Im looking at either

Explorer-130P SynScan AZ GOTO 130mm (5.1") or SkyMax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain

As a first Telescope I would of course like to view planets and the moon, and I would also like to look at Nebula and a bit of everything really, so what is my best choice, I have seen an odd review that you cannot really see DSO's (Whatever that is) with the 127.

Im sorry to be a pain but im just starting out, and want to get it right if possible.

I have looked in to thngs, like filters, barlows, power packs.

Your help would be of great use.

Regards

GM

just a little pointer.I have a standard 130 scope and although the goto lists thousands of objects you are not going to see them with a scope this size.Galaxies and nebulas will be tiny faint grey smudges,planets apart from the moon will be tiny,just barely making out details.You can of course get stronger eyepieces but its the scopes size that governs how much light is picked up.Goto adds a lot to the cost because your paying for the electronics.Most people on here are recommended the 200p dobsonian(skywatcher) or similar because of the larger size youll see more detail etc.Without the goto youll have to learn the sky but with programmes such as stellarium(free) and some readily available books etc its not that daunting..another addition to cost is the extras..red light torch to see without ruining your night vision..collimating tool...moon filter....etc,etc..as a beginner who may or may not enjoy stargazing the added goto cost makes it a lot of cash to waste if you hate it.Goto can help you find objects etc,but i think its half the fun doing it yourself.If budget isnt an issue then fine but in the long run its appeture size thats important in viewing things..bigger is better...the goto will find the object or star but with a 130 youll be limited as to what youll see....good luck in your purchase.

I've not used the 130P but have got the Celestron version of the 127, it's great for planetary stuff but you won't have much luck with Nebulas as it doesn't bring in enough light. I agree with pallas15 if you have the space go for a basic Dobsonian as you get much more seeing power for your money, a 200 or a 250 will give good views of planets and deep sky. The 250 (10") size is pretty big and just on the edge of still being portable.

I'm with these guys. For the price of that goto you're going to miss out on a lot up there, as well as the fun and experience of finding things manually. A decent Dob is bigger, cheaper, easier to use, more satisfying, easier to set up and will largely give you a better experience.

Thank you all for your help, as a newbie I thought i would ask the question, now i will look at the advice given I will let you know how I get on.

Im sure their is going to be other questions once I get going, but again Thank you.

Gm

hi....going to do my usual bigging up of binoculars...as a firs step they can help you learn your around, as well a be a future scope companion. Some objects look their best in a wide field of view .

DSO = Deep Sky Objects.....not sure it was mentioned.

i wish you luck with your choice...but would recommend a copy of Turn Left at Orion...so you can see what to look at.

Regards

Archived