NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Grab and Go questions

So my current grab and go is an ST80 on a camera tripod

I'm going to upgrade it.

I want a few things.

High mag planetary, low mag widefield, sturdy manual tripod and goto.

So im thinking replace the ST80 with a S120 replace the tripod with an az4 and get a nexstar 127 slt.

Questions I have are can ST120 be used on nexstar slt mount to get widefield views with goto and does high mag with the mak work ok on an az4? Not sure how well itd work at 200x+ manually tracking.

Also im tall so need an extension pillar for the az4 but cant see these anywhere.

I think the ST120 might suffer a bit at high magnifcations for planetary use due to excessive CA. I certainly found this to be true of the ST102 which struggled to get above 100x, and I am told the larger STs have the same problem.

Have you thought about an ED refractor - will still give you the wide field views plus allow you to ramp up the magnification for the planets.

I have heard that the Tal RS-100 is pretty good for planets, although it is a looooong telescope, not sure if the AZ4 would be weighty enough to hold it.

Have a look at the Omni CG-4 mount, it's fairly sturdy.

For height - why not get an observing chair? Either a normal wooden garden chair or a special adjustable stool.

Archived