Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Am I missing something?

StuartJPP

I was watching a video regarding the Vixen Polarie Star Tracker, and I am sure that most of the time-lapse videos (like the first 2 in the introduction and the cloudscape later on) were shot with the device turned off? If the device was tracking, then the stars would be in a fixed position and the foreground (earth) would be moving. In the said time-lapse videos, the ground is stationary and the stars are moving, this can be simply done with a fixed tripod can't it?

The review mentions a 1/2 sidereal tracking rate mode, but even then the foreground would still move over an hour long session. I know that sliding/panning booms are used to create both the foreground AND stars moving but this seems to give the impression that to make one of these time-lapse videos you need a tracking mount.

Or like the title, am I missing something?

Archived