Greasing the wheels.

I'd not want to venture into relubing a mount unless it was showing signs of really needing it. The sort of grease they are assembled with ought to last a good long time and, although some people like to "hypertune" them and replace the sticky grease with something lighter, that's not something I'd undertake lightly.

I'm looking at refreshing the motors on my GPDX but that's because they're noticeably dry and they're chattering quite a bit, which suggests there may be a bit too much direct metal on metal action that requires topping up. But the mount is probably a good 30 years old, and may have only had one dose of grease in that time for all I know.

For the motor drives and worm gears I think the recommended sort of grease is silicone grease, rather than PTFE or lithium, but I'm no expert in these matters...

Archived