Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to astronomy with new C6 SCT on CG5 mount, a few quibbles

DannyHarvey

Just a few things I have noticed with the mount.

1. The when I undo the clutches the unit is a bit stiff and hard to balance (I have been practising this indoors)

2. The RA setting circle is a bit loose, it actually rubs a bit when I move the associated axis around. also, I wouldn't like to set anything accurately with this "clock" looking at the amount of play in it!

3. The instructions don't seem to match the hand controller. I think I have a nexstar + unit and the manual is written for the older one (looked at the web site but cant find an up-to-date manual).

is there anything I can do about these things?

another point, I reckon it would balance with less weight on the counterbalance. Which is better big weight close or smaller weight further down bar?

I had fun today aligning the finder-scope. Screwed one of the adjusters out too far and it dropped on the floor, what a Muppet! Fortunately I was in doors (focusing on a pylon about 1 mile away) and I found it eventually after 30 mins sifting through the Break pile carpet!

look forward to your replies, regards,

Dan

I've got a printed supplement for the newer hand controller so they have definitely done a manual for its called nexstar+ hand control perhaps searching the celestron website download section with that might throw it up.

Welcome to SGL Dan!

Each axis should rotate freely when the clutch isn't engaged, at least, that is my understanding :embarassed:

I haven't figured out how to stop the setting circles from freely rotating either (on an EQ6), the little screws don't seem to hold it very long or undo easily :(

Regarding balancing... you should use as little counterweight as possible. I'm not sure which weights come with the CG5, but if you feel the counterweight is dominating, move it up the balancer shaft towards the centre until it is balanced. Also note that when balancing, you want to have the setup fully loaded... including dew shield, diagonal, finder scope, even an averagely weighted EP, so you can find the best balance point.

Personally, I don't get on well with the Celestron finder scope - I find the image is too confusingly reverted or inverted and flipped... :eek: so I use a Telrad on my scope.

Doesn't answer your questions well, but HTH a little...

@Dunkster, thanks for your reply! The scope moves freely, but kind of heavy, like they used lard to lubricate it! ;-)

I may remove the setting circles. I am suspecting that they may of little use as I can use the computer alignment routines on the controller(?)

Dan

Ahhh that sounds unpleasant! Maybe the lubricant will distribute more evenly with use? Also check that the clutch is all the way off. If that doesn't work, it might be worth contacting your supplier - something doesn't right to me. If it's not freely moving, then the motors could struggle and that complicates things.

The setting circles remove? :D I don't think mine do, but they're useful for setting your home position or helping to understand Dec+RA on a cloudy day ;)

I guess the mount will loosen up with use. I can sort of get it near balance, then there is a vague area. I give the mount a tap each way and try to feel which side needs more of a push and set it that way.

Next task is checking collimation!

Dan

Archived