NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Paint on CG-5 Mount

skir

Whilst moving the mount around on top of the tripod I've managed t scratch the top of the tripod. The paint appears to be particularly soft. From searching this seems to be a common issue. I'd like to try and re-paint it, but obviously want the best match possible.

Does anyone know of the best paint and colour code to use?

Whilst moving the mount around on top of the tripod I've managed t scratch the top of the tripod. The paint appears to be particularly soft. From searching this seems to be a common issue. I'd like to try and re-paint it, but obviously want the best match possible.

Does anyone know of the best paint and colour code to use?

I want to know this one as well .. But black .blackboard paint has hundreds of uses and is cheap from Wilkinson

Its completley normal with this mount. The more you use it (eg: polar align it), the more wear and tear you will get where the mount meets the tripod top. Best solution I found was to grease the top of the tripod, that way there is reduced friction and it makes polar alignment a bit less of a finger shredding experience.

I just left mine, its aluminium so it wont rust. And when the mount is on top - you wont see it anyway :)

Very true, but it is blumming annoying for something that is virtually brand new.

I wonder if there is anything you could paint the top with that was both a god match and more durable?

A comment from someonw who buys mainly 2nd hand kit.

Paint damage that indicates normal use does not influence my decision to buy, or the price I pay.

Paint damage indicative of abuse is a different matter.

What matterts to me is whether kit works well.

I use my stuff in the dark so don't care!

Well my CG5 and tripod is painted with what looks like a black Hammerite paint. So that's probably your best bet. B&Q sells it. My tripod has the marks around the top plate and the odd small knock on the tripod locking knob ferrules where it bangs to gether when I close it up. This is inevitable use marking. I don't sweat it, and neither should you, because marks are guaranteed no matter how careful you are. It's irrelevant in the dark!

Archived