NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope warrenty / Insurance

Hi Joanne,

your new scope should come with 12 months warranty and if you have any problems with it you would normally contact the dealer you bought it from, thats why its preferable to buy from an established, recommended dealer.

It would be your choice to insure it or not but if you check, you may find that it's covered on your household insurance policy.

Tom

Thanks Tom

Ive been searcing online for the best priced Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2 with postage ive found £275 ish from 2 companies Bristol Cameras and F1 telescopes. Do you know these companies and im also thinking in terms of credit card security online. Ive also found it for £282 on First Light Optics which was recommended to me (which accepts Paypal) Any advice?

Mnay Thanks

Joanne

Yeah, that's a good option too. It depends what you're wanting to do. If it's just for observation a dob might be the best option as it's easy to point it at any point in the sky quickly. However, I wanted an equatorial mount so I could use an RA motor drive to track the object I'm looking at.

I bought a 250mm Skywatcher dob and it had a dent in it when supplied, otherwise it was okay. I contacted the retailer who arranged for a replacement with the importer. The second scope had a bigger dent in the tube and again the retailer arranged for a replacement. none of the dents would have affected the performance of the scope but as my wife says you want it to be perfect and it may have affected the resale value.

I have never bought telescopes from Bristol Cameras but have bought photographic equipment and found them very good.

As regards your choice of scope, you get the biggest aperture for your money with a dob. They are quicker to set up and easier to get on with. However, if you ever want to get into astrophotography or want to buy a second scope as a tube only, then the equatorial mount is the way to go. Alt AZ mounts just don't track well enough and they suffer from field rotation. A dob base will only take one scope, the dob that it was designed for. As far as optical performance, there won't be much difference between the two scopes you mentioned.

My only other suggestion, if you have a shop nearby go and look at a few scopes to see which one might suit you best.

I have to admit, I've never used a dob, only and equatorial mount. They sound great in practice but they must be hell at high magnification. If you put a 6mm eyepiece in your 200p dob and try and look at Jupiter it must be a nightmare as it will be seconds before it's out of the field of view. Or is it something you just get used to?

No worries. I would add that the 150pl on the EQ3-2 mount isn't ideal for astrophotography. It's fine for planetary imaging with a webcam as the mount doesn't need to be incredibly sturdy for that but deep sky astrophotography is difficult. I do it a bit but it's frustrating and the results aren't anywhere near as good as you could get with a better (albeit much more expensive) mount. That being said, astrophotography at all with a dob is pretty much impossible :)

Archived