NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

starlearner.com GCSE Astronomy

StuW

Hi All

I know a few people are doing the UCLAN course in astronomy (i started the non-distance version at Alston Hall in 1998 but had to drop out due to job reasons), but I've recently been thinking of doing the starlearner.com GCSE in astronomy and wondered if anyone else had done the course (not necessarily through starlearner.com)? My paper writing skills aren't up to scratch to do the UCLAN course yet so want to start at a lower level.

TIA for any info..

Stu - I did the GCSE with starlearner in 2010. It was reasonably priced and they provided me with good support during the course. The material and sylabus has changed since I did the course but I found it really enjoyable. I learned a lot in general about astronomy and even though I had been observing for a few years it was really interesting. I was worried about the maths as I had forgotten everything I learnt back in the 80s but it wasn't too challenging.

You can find the sylabus and supporting material on the Edexcel website if you haven't already looked at it.

I arranged the exam myself as my son was doing his GCSEs at the same time so I persuaded the school to allow me to do it there. But starlearner would have helped arrange that as well. Sitting the exam in my son's school - at the same time he was doing his GCSEs - was a bit odd though :)

Thanks for that seedy. I'm very interested in doing this as a precursor to the UCLAN course as like yourself, its been a while since school and I've.forgotten quite a lot.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Archived