NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ways of sharing the telescope through the computer?

Instead of everyone looking through the eyepiece one at a time, I thought it would be easier to get something to connect a camera to a laptop and let people view what is in the eyepiece that way, and I was wondering what options there were?

I've seen a youtube video where one of the astronomy clubs use a video camera attached to the focuser and remote the signal to the pavilion where the rest of the members view it on a large TV screen... Half thought I like to do that for the cold winter nights ;)

I did this with the local cubs a couple of years back. Just plugged my Canon 1000 into the telescope and did short exposures, downloaded directly onto the laptop via the usb cable. They were amazed at what they could see in an apparently empty bit of sky.

As you say, it means everyone can see what is there straight away, and it keeps them away from the scope so it doesn't get 'nudged' requiring realignment.

There are dedicated astronomy video cameras available. I own the Watec 120n integrating video camera (model has been discontinued I believe but newer models are available). It can be connected to any TV ( I use a 7" portable DVD player with an A / V in) using simple A / V cables (or Computer with video capture card). The image can be integrated for up to 10.2 seconds and then sent to a TV for immediate viewing and continues to update every interval you have set for the camera. The advantages includes being able to see far more with the camera than one could ever hope to visually with the same scope (spiral arms in galaxies, dark dust lanes all easily visible) and unlike the DSLR method above, it can all happen in real time without having to download anything, and requires far less equipment in the field.

You will need a mount that tracks the sky, though because the exposure is only 10 seconds, field rotation is not a problem so Alt Az GoTo type mount works fine. I use mine with my Nexstar 11 GPS and a F/3.3 focal reducer.

This is the link to Watec. http://www.wateccameras.com/index.php

The cameras are often seen with other company branding such as Orion, but they are Watec underneath.

Clear skies,

unlike the DSLR method above, it can all happen in real time without having to download anything, and requires far less equipment in the field.

just to clarify:

• with eos utils on the canon, download takes only 3-5 seconds and happens automatically when the exposure ends
  • camera in scope + usb cable + laptop vs camera in scope + av cables + tv/screen ... seems about the same amount of equipment to me.

That said, I have nothing against a dedicated integrating camera, and my understanding is that the chip on these cameras is probably more sensitive than a dslr, and if the dslr is unmodded a watec or mintron would probably out-perform for a given integrated time.

If you already have a dslr (which was my understanding from OP) this would be a cheaper option, at least initially, than splashing out on a dedicated camera.

http://modernastrono...AstroVideo.html

HTH

• camera in scope + usb cable + laptop vs camera in scope + av cables + tv/screen ... seems about the same amount of equipment to me.

Agreed. However, the Watec will fit in the palm of child (and is very light), a DSLR is quite a bit bigger and heavier. And you are correct, the low light sensitivity is higher, though to the downside, the chip is quite small.

However, the Watec will fit in the palm of child (and is very light), a DSLR is quite a bit bigger and heavier. And you are correct, the low light sensitivity is higher, though to the downside, the chip is quite small.

Agreed on all points.

I think we have reached consensus.

Archived