NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3 Goto system is made for wrong tripod!

I've not seen one of those supplies before but I can't see an obvious reason work.

In normal use the handset is powered down the cat5 cable that connects it to the motor controller box. The only power connection should be to the motor controller box.

Did the bracket for the motor controller box fit under the tripod head, by the way? I was only guessing there and it would be handy to know.

James

Ok, I'll get one. Yup the bracket worked just as we thought - I undid the weights and removed the mount via the threaded knob underneath. Then I put the bracket/adaptor in, remounted the mount and weights and voila :) See pictures.

9459161659_f3096f9ce7.jpg9459170815_0aa8c9390b.jpg

Close up of mount showing controller and motor controller Underside of mount showing bracket and threaded knob

frank

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have recently just bought this mount from a forum member who sent me the link to this thread and i have a few questions about it so thought it best to keep it here.

I used the mount for the first time last night and put the attachment for the box in place as in the photos,but when i was slewing round my camera on the scope a 127 Mak hit the box so i quickly removed it and just placed it on the tray for the rest of the night.

i have now found that the round plastic clip will fit nicely onto the legs side if they aren't fully extended,i had mine extended just upto the black line on the legs,so that is where i will be placing it in the future.

Also the cogs are showing on this mount.Is this ok and would it be wise to cover em up some how in case dew gets inside,and are all the cable connecters waterproofed against dew??

The answer to your first question. If you place the metal part so that the motor control box sits where the polar scope is, so its opposite the weights in the home position, then it will not get hit. It is where I put mine, and as I use a Skywatcher Explorer 130/900. You don't need the control box to polar align. I'll upload a photo in a minute so you can see.

As for the cogs, yes they do show, but this is due to the way the motors are designed. (It is also useful as it is easier to put a dollop of lithium grease on the cogs without disassembling.

As I said, here are the photos I said I would post. (After navigating the gallery upload.)

WP 20130824 003

This one is an overview of where things are on MY EQ3-2. You can see where I put the motor box.

WP 20130824 002

Just to show you that its normal for the cogs to be showing.

WP 20130824 001

Just a close up of the motorbox.

As for how water proof they are, I have found them to be OK under moderate dew.

I had the same issue - appalling instructions and assembly done mainly by guesswork. The motor box is clipped to the aluminium legs (despite obviously being wrong and held in place by cable-ties...

Archived