Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Questions about observing some things

Josh Wilson

I haven't seen some of the many things that astronomy offers and I have some questions about what they look like and if they're even worth it.

For example, Ceres and Vesta. The two largest asteroids discovered.

When you observe them, do they look elongated or have a relatively defined shape?

Can you watch them move over the course of a few hours or days?

Next is the minima of Algol.

When the star dims, is it immediate or does it take a few minutes or hours?

Is it best observed telescopically or visually?

Next and (maybe) lastly, are comets. Are they any good with an 8" (200mm) scope under a 4 to 5 bortle sky?

Any answers to these questions are appreciated and welcome.

Josh

Algol can be observed best going from Dim to Bright, takes a few hours to go up. Effectively you wait for the eclipsing one to get out of the way. Found this link to a site that claims to give the midpoint of the eclipse so at the dimmest, watch for 2-3 hours and it brightens:

Algol MP

No idea how good or accurate, or even if what I have said is correct, found it and assumed.

There is a variable that is a few hours Max-Min.

Asteroids, little idea, they will be small and dim. Usually identified by cameras and determining that something has moved. A lot will depend on where they are in relation to Earth.

Comets should be apparerent in an 8" but at present there are not many which are bright, couple come round later in the year.

Suspect that the comets and the asteroids will need more research into.

Comets are very possible with your scope size. The problem is with what you will see. Most dim comets (mags. 8 or higher) are faint due top their distance from the Sun and will also have their "tails" short (most looking like slightly elongated nebulae). But when they get closer to the Sun and brighten, their tails do usually get longer and present nice telescopic views. But a point is reached when the comet becomes naked eye mag. That's when you will be better off observing it with binoculars since the tail will be much longer and may not fit into a telescopic FOV.

But a telescopic view of a bright comet will reveal its coma and bright nucleus - though these will rarely ever show any details. And perhaps some gassing jets from the nucleus may be seen.

So if you have't seen any comets yet, try for one of the fainter ones that's listed each month at THIS link. Seeing a little one is better that not seeing any at all :grin:

I think the fun is in finding asteroids rather than observing them.

To me they all appear like white stars.

Ceres and Vesta are two of the easiest as they are brighter than Neptune at their best. Maps should identify them but the traditional way is to track their movement over a number of nights and weeks (by eye or by photograph).

Happy hunting!

Archived