NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

filters for nebulas etc

hi folks,need advise on filters.i am sorry if this question have been asked a million times already,however,i hope you dont mind sharing your personal knowledge and opinions before i go out and spend the hard earned cash i better ask for advise.i have gone through quite a few topics about this and opinions really differ.

so here we go:

what would be the best sort of starter filter kit for the beginner.Targets to observe:nebulas,galaxies(these two are primarily targets) and planets(subject to availability).

yes i know it is a wide range so i dont mind if the ammount of filters i need will have to be 3-4 or more as i can gradually pick them up one at the time or if the opportunity comes the whole set at once.

Current set up:

dobsonian 250Px with Baader click zoom 8-24 with baader barlow. and baader hyperion aspheric 31mm will be on order tommorow for low range.so basically both lens are 2" if we take barlow out of occasion.

Location:just outside Aberdeen city,however it is still quite affected by lights so light pollution should be taken into consideration.

Looking for good quality as i have no intentions of purchasing cheap rubbish and regretting it afterwards.I really like baader range of optics so any users of them will be highly appreciated with they input.Will not mind skywatchers range also or any other you could recommend.

thank you.

Filters for planets are just colour filters - I never use them so can't comment.

Filters for galaxies don't exist - though a "light pollution" filter might enhance the view.

The filters that definitely do work on DSOs are ones designed for use on emission nebulae (e.g. Ring, Crab, Eskimo etc). These work because emission nebulae emit light at specific wavelengths - filters can let these wavelengths through and block others. The filter will dim starlight (and the sky) but will not dim the nebula, so you get a better view. They don't work on reflection nebulae (e.g. M78, Merope nebula etc).

Main visible wavelengths emitted by nebulae are OIII and H-beta. Nebula filters are either specific to one of these, or else allow both (and allow some other wavelengths too).

The only nebula filter I have is a Lumicon UHC, which lets through OIII and H-beta. I've never found any need to buy another. I've seen lots of nebula with it (including Horsehead and California, as well as easy stuff like Veil, Rosette, Helix etc etc). I've used it in every scope I've owned, ranging from 80mm to 12" aperture. The only thing that limits the usefulness of nebula filter, in my opinion is ambient light pollution - if there's too much around then you get light reflected off the filter back into your eye. But in that case put a hood over your head to exclude light - or find a darker site.

Hey dude,

You might find this article useful:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1520

Hopefully this link works!

I have a Skywatcher UHC filter which really makes diffuse nebula stand out. Somewhere on this site is a discussion in which it is preferred over the Baader, although there may not be much difference between the two. I also just got a set of 4 coloured filters (Orange, Dark Blue, Light Green & Grey) and have been impressed with them for enhancing my views of Jupiter.

Archived