NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Taking Flat Frames

JacobvonChorus

Hello,

So I have come to the conclusion that I am going to need to use flats to correct dust bunnies with my new CCD. This is because the CCD windows is much closer to the chip than the front Canon filter on my DSLR so tiny dust bunnies actually do cause problems. Easily correctable as I have learned by using flats. During the summer, I can easily take flats on the blue sky, but at this time of year, the sun is on the horizon when I get home so that is not an option. At the moment, I have a white sheet of letter paper taped to my wall for taking flats. Okay for experimentation but it causes gradients and will be useless for actual images. So I had the idea of getting a solar filter mount (can get one at my local astronomy shop very cheap) and attaching some white paper where the mylar would normally go. Then as long as the front end of this diffuser is lit, I should be able to get a nice even flat. Would this work?

Jacob

I want to make something shortly too. Currently, I have a wooden hoop with white fabric stretched over, and shine a bright light at it for flats. However, I frequently take the scope to a dark site to image, and I don't want to be shining a bright white light at my scope if other people are still observing/imaging. I'm planning on a 12 volt light box that will fit over the end of the scope so I can take my flats without blinding everyone!

Archived