Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power Source For CGEM-DX

Hi all, until recently I've powered my CGEM-DX (C1100 OTA) with a skywatcher powertank 17ah which I got from FLO. However, after using the pack to try to restart my wife's car the powertank will no longer charge. When I try, it simply lights up for a second then clicks off.

I could get a replacement battery for it but since I only ever use the scope in the garden (it's far too heavy to do much else with and I'd struggle to get it in my car) I would like to be able to power it from the mains as powertanks just seem far to unreliable and delicate.

Now I'm a total amateur when it comes to power so really I just need something reliable which I can plug in and go. I wondered whether anyone had any recommendations? I'm still a bit baffled why we only get a cigarette lighter adapter and not an option of a 3 pin plug. Apparently the requirement is for 12v DC 3.5 amps.

Any help greatly appreciated

Hi,

Ok I think I've found what I'm looking for - in fact the only product I could find which looked like an easy way to plug my scope into the mains. Green Witch have an Observatory Power Supply http://www.green-witch.com/acatalog/Power_.html which is £49.00. It won't be housed in an observatory so I'm hoping it will be ok with a bit of dew.

Has anyone tried one of these?

Many thanks

Inkpen

I got an 100W 13.8V power supply from King's Lynn Models for about £15 - something around £20 with P&P. Or Maplin do very similar power supply units, also for less.

Or go direct to Rapid Electronics and get the identical model for £42. Rapid are good and do exactly what their name says. They do free P&P for orders over £35 before VAT so it would be worth getting a few extra bits.

Chris

Hi all, until recently I've powered my CGEM-DX (C1100 OTA) with a skywatcher powertank 17ah which I got from FLO. However, after using the pack to try to restart my wife's car the powertank will no longer charge. When I try, it simply lights up for a second then clicks off.

I could get a replacement battery for it but since I only ever use the scope in the garden (it's far too heavy to do much else with and I'd struggle to get it in my car) I would like to be able to power it from the mains as powertanks just seem far to unreliable and delicate.

Now I'm a total amateur when it comes to power so really I just need something reliable which I can plug in and go. I wondered whether anyone had any recommendations? I'm still a bit baffled why we only get a cigarette lighter adapter and not an option of a 3 pin plug. Apparently the requirement is for 12v DC 3.5 amps.

Any help greatly appreciated

Get something like this. Not only is it a far better quality battery than the ones hidden in a powertank, it's designed for deep discharge, without dying a premature death. I took the golf cart thing a stage further, by using Torberry connectors and butchering a SW power lead to fit. The insulation, which also improves battery life came from a universally useful camping mat.

Russell

Archived