Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Skysurfer V - For GOTO alignment mainly - a few questions...

Hi All,

I've been looking at getting a Skysurfer V for several reasons. Firstly, I'm looking at using my 9x50 optical finder on my Skywatcher 200p f/6 as a guidescope. Hence I need a separate finder for when the cam is attached to it. Secondly, having the former dob OTA mounted on an HEQ5 is great, but the scope is now pretty high, and getting to a straight-through finder without knocking things out of alignment is pretty difficult! I'll mainly be using it for GOTO alignment, so am less reliant on magnification to find DSOs etc...

So - I have a few questions!

1) From astro-baby's review here - http://www.astro-baby.com/reviews/finder_scopes/baader_skysurfer_V.htm - it seems that due to it's large aperture, you can use the Skysurfer V from behind the scope (i.e. you can look up the scope from behind/below the finder, and don't have to be eye-to-finder to use it. Is this correct? The idea of being able to use the finder without having to get into some of the crazy positions I do to get my eye right up to the to the current finder is appealing!

2) I know they come with various fittings, but do they come with the actual quick release bracket you mount on your OTA so I can drill the relevant holes attach it on my scope as a second finder? (hope I explained this well enough!)

Cheers!

Adam.

Yes you can see it from behind, also the glass on ut is completely see through. Like most red dots it does take a bit of getting used to. The trick is to acquire the red dot with one eye and then open both eyes and let the dot become superimposed on the sky.

Mine didnt come with an accessory shoe but the vixen stule accessory shoes are quite cheap.

I used to use mine as a goto fixer for star alignment but I sold mine off as Ifound it just wasnt getting much use anymore. Its a good bit of kit and if you can afford it as a red dot its rather good but its not cheap. Its is though built like a tank.

It shpuld come with a ramge of stalks including a very rigid steel one.

The most important feature of an RDF is the diameter of the screen on which the red dot is projected; this dictates how easy it is to acquire the red dot visually and the Mk V excels in this respect - it's the easiest RDF I've ever used. It's also pretty much dew proof and built to last, unlike the Telrad which is cheaply made and a dew magnet, but great to use provided it keeps working (I had 2 Telrads fail on me prior to buying the Baader Mk V). Expensive, but very much worth it i.m.o.h.

Both mine came with shoes', I have a spare if you need one.

That's much appreciated Jack! If mine is missing one, I think I may take you up on that!

You're definitely edging me toward getting one. My current finder is great on a dob, but drives me nuts to use on the HEQ5. Also, once I've started to use the finder to guide, I'll definitely need another finder anyway. If telrads are a little temperamental, especially in the dew area, I think that it'll be money well spent.

I think I may go for it.

Cheers,

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

Archived