First scope

For my first scope I have been looking at a Skywatcher Explorer 200p EQ5 Pro GOTO. I wish to do both stargazing and astrophotograghy.

Basically would like your opinions on the equipment.

I also want to connect it to my laptop. Is this possible??

Thanks.

If you are interested in astrophotography then you really would benefit from buying the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available in the book section on the FLO website. This will give you a really good introduction to imaging.

The general mount considered the minimum for AP is the HEQ5. It can be done with less, but you need a really sturdy mount in order to get the long exposures that you wil need to work to in order to get decent DSO images. If you think you would prefer to image plants and solar system stuff, then that's a different scope and requirements altogether, so I will leave that for someone with expereince in that field to come along.

You don't mention about what type of camera you'll be using for the AP either.

You will be able to get some product out of it but the eq5 is not really an astro photography mount this book is an excellent read to inform you of what you need and why

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

If I was starting over I would get the skywatcher 200p dob and then save for a heq5 and ed 80 combo a lot more expensive but both setups can handle the job easily. the dob for visual and the heq5 for imaging.

Thanks for your comments. I currently have a Sony A200 DSLR which i am hoping to use.

The reason I was looking at those products was due to price. I know my budget of say 700-800 is small for this type of hobby but hopefully it will get me started. That is the reason for the EQ5 and not the HEQ5 mount. I'm desperate to begin astronomy and astrophotography however funds are limitted. Because of the funds I nearly didn't bother all together but an too keen to dismiss it.

Archived