Sturggling Newbie

Hello again everyone hope your all having a nice day,

If anyone could help with my next (probably silly) problem I would be a very happy chappy.

My problem is location lol, Now I'm not trying anything adventurous just yet as this is only the second clear night in our area since Christmas, So I'm only starting by looking at the Moon and this is not as easy as I thought. "just point and look was my intention."

I have a Tasco 200x 132t model scope and can see the Moon through my View finder but then struggle to see it through the main viewing eyepiece when I get it in the eyepiece and try to tighten the screws up I loose the image GRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! lol.

My scope does have a base but not a tripod that stands on the floor so I improvise by using my table on the back garden but this is still causing movement in the scope the table is not the main issue as it is quite stable but its the tightening of the screws that is the biggest hinderance.

Any tips would be GREATLY welcome as I'm begining to get quite frustrated thanks guys

Charlie xx :sad:

Erm, what to advise??!

I don't know. I have a very basic tabletop tripod with my old Tasco refractor I had when I was little and I nostalgically set it up for lunar viewing occasionally and have a very similar problem tightening the bolts either side of the tube, it moves. Sounds to me like you need a better mount. There is only so much you can do here! :cool:

The scope moving when you try to lock one of the axis, or just let go of it, is really annoying. You can try and compensate for it, deliberately aim low/high/left/right/whatever of the target, but it often ends up being a case of trial and error.

That said, do you *need* to tighten the axes? If I'm not mistaken the small EQ mount on this scope should balance, ie if you let the scope go it won't swing around.

If the mount you have persists in being hopeless, you could possibly make a miniature Dob mount for it.

I second the above advice from cantab. I am using a rickety old EQ mount and have the same problem when tightening the axes.

My solution was to stop tightening them, as the balance kept it all from moving anyway. Maybe just a little twist to provide a bit of friction without having to start actually tightening anything as such.

It's not ideal for sure, but if it works, and keeps you from throwing the thing in frustration, then maybe that's what's needed...

Thanks Scott do you know if there is a tripod available that attaches to my scope or even a universal one that I could use.

Charlie :smiley:

Without actually seeing your scope I'm not sure. You could potentially get some rings to fit your tube assembly and mount the tube to a dovetail bar and get a decent second hand EQ mount to put it onto perhaps?

Archived