Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AstroSystems Laser Collimator with Barlow

omaroo

A simply brilliant device. I was introduced to this laser collimator the other night when we were collimating Paul Shopiss' 12" binocular telescope.

I've never performed a full collimation so quickly and easily. It literally took 15 seconds per side once the collimator was inserted into the focuser. Paul has thumbscrew secondary adjuster screws as well as knobs on the primary adjusters, so there was no fiddling with screwdrivers or allen keys.

1) Firstly you insert the unit into the focuser. Remove the concave barlow attachment to expose the end of the laser and switch it on. A beam hits the secondary and bounces down to the primary. You adjust the secondary until the beam hits the centre mark on the primary.

2) Then place the barlow attachment back on the front of the unit. It acts as a projector screen and shows the return image from the centre dot on the primary. All you now do is adjust the primary's collimation knobs until the centre dots image hits the centre of the screen.

Done! It literally took seconds and gave great collimation. When you have two optics trains to set up each night it'll be a real bonus. Normal laser collimators don't do anywhere near as good a job I don't think - and certainly no where near as fast.

US$109 plus delivery ex Colorado USA.

http://www.astrosystems.biz/laser.htm

I'm in no way affiliated with this crew - just a really satisfied customer.

Cheers

Chris

Blaser.JPG

returnimage.jpg

Good report, Chris.

I bought a laser collimator from Steve at FLO last month. That seems to be the same as the one you describe, except it didn't have a Barlow - just an etched screen so you could see the "return laser dot" - but it seemed to work pretty well. The Barlow attachment presumably makes the adjustment of the Primary more accurate - and thus more accurate collimation?

Cheers

Tom

Hi fellas and thanks for replying

Tom - yes, given that the barlow piece is concave the positioning of the returned centre dot image is meant to be more critical.

Phil - I don't know about accuracy, as such, but i know it's a lot easier and quicker. I can't stand the Orion Cheshire collimator I have because the cross hairs are too thick and are way out of focus for my eyes. A good operator is usually able to get very good results from a Cheshire - but I'll be observing before they are (I think)... :D

Cheers

Chris

I have used one of these on my dob and yes, great bits of kit but I still prefer using a home-made 5mW 2" beastie as I can see it from the mirror box end and even see the beam converging on itself. The barlowed laser is fine for the smaller (I mean under 16") dobs though but it does dim the beam.

Arthur

I agree Chris,

The cross hairs on the Cheshire are way to thick - and I too have difficulty in focussing them. I tend to swap between the Cheshire, and my home made 35mm black plastic film cannister with a small hole in centre! Once the two are as near to centre as I can judge, I then assume my scope is collimated. The laser collimator is another "must have" for next year! (if I don't buy a new combi boiler for "SWMBO", I'll be feeling the heat I can tell you!).

regards,

philsail1

Archived