Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another ST80 review

moondog

I bought the Skywatcher ST80 as a guide scope for the ED80.

The short (400mm) focal length, and light weight, makes it an ideal guide scope. It works well with the QHY1 guide cam.

Never thought of using it visually, but last night I woke up about 3.00am, looked out the window and it was clear. Orion was hanging there in the sky in all its glory. I put the ST80 on the camera tripod and popped in the 25mm EP that came with it and turned to M42. The seeing was very good with the steadyness that you often get before dawn. Surprisingly good, bright image, perhaps to be expected as the scope is only F5. Some good nebulosity and the stars were very sharp.

Put the Lanthanum 15mm with a nebula filter in the scope. M42's nebulosity then showed the classic 'angel fish' shape, with its mouth over the trapezium stars. I continued to look at the same view for some time as it was a bit special.

Certainly a good starter scope with optics that surprised me with their quality. I didn't expect a low cost wide field scope to be so good - I'll have give it a go for imaging some time. That may also hold a surprise!

MD

Archived