Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sunday night midnight

The Warthog

I had given up on the night earlier, as it was fully overcast, and settled down to watching old Sky at Nights on my collection of CDs that I have to catch up on. This was great fun, and later I watched the news, then took the dog out for a wee at midnight. I stumbled about a bit at first, and almost tripped over my canoe, but in a few minutes my eyes got used to the dark and I could see that it was one of the better nights we've had, totally cloudless. I went back inside for my 8x21 monocular.

It was a night for old friends. The Pleiades were nice and high, and a grand sight in the little scope, as were the Hyades and Aldebaran. I have to remember to look for M1 this year, note to self. I was able to pick out the two open clusters that are in Auriga M36 and 38 IIRC, and an open cluster in Perseus, but I'm not sure which. It appeared to be along the 'spine' of the constellation.

M31 was almost directly overhead, so I couldn't pull it in because I can't crane my neck back long enough. I need a reclining chair, or more time. Still ten minutes and a quick scope 'round is better than , er, something that is much worse than having a quick scope 'round...

Ah, thanks for reminding me:

1) I haven't had my kayak out in ages

2) I also need to see M1 sometime!

Mel 20 is a scattered cluster around alpha (although it doesn't look like one to me) but there are a couple more NGC OC's further 'up' near the double cluster. Not sure how they'd look in your 8x21 but it's a magnificent part of the sky clusters or no clusters ain't it? :D

Archived