NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First full year of astronomy...

Josh Wilson

It's been 1 year since my dad purchased a little 60mm frac for Christmas for me. I can remember what the sky looked like even on that day. The moon was about 3 days after first quarter, and Orion was standing up on his legs in the southern sky. I pointed the scope at the moon and I was hooked immediately. Jupiter was next and it's moons were clearly visible.

About a month later, my grandfather gave his 60mm f/14 scope to me and that only inspired me more. In March, I purchased the ETX-90 GoTo scope and started imaging the Sun and Moon with it.

In June, I had enough of crappy views and decided to get something of larger aperture. I saw my neighbours 8" dob and I knew that it was perfect. I sold my ETX and an extra hand controller that came with it, enough for the scope, a case, and moon filter. I sent in the order for my scope in late July and the scope came in early August. The first night out, no clouds, no moon, no way. I pointed the scope at Saturn in early evening and knew that this was the scope for me.

I've typed myself in to a mood of reminiscence now...

I'll say more later...

Damn, it's been an amazing year.

Josh - Keep a copy of your post for future reference when you get older. I bet you will enjoy reading it when as an adult many years from now. I wish I had done so about my first scope (age 10) but all I have now is vague memories of those days. :sad:

Archived