NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Versago III

DoctorD

Hi Has anyone any experience of the Versago III AZ mount.

I'm considering one for a Celestron C8 which is currently mounted on a CG5 GEM mount (whole thing is 1997 pedigree sold as a G8).

I'd also use it with my little 102 MAK or the 130P when camping.

I'm only interested in visual astronomy and the CG5 mount wobbles quite a bit, especially at high magnification and to be honest I find it difficult to use the GEM.

I think that this mount is OK for an 8" SCT according to various web sites but I'd like an opinion from someone who has used one - we all know how ambitious some marketing departments can be!!

What I really want is a dobsonisan mount for the SCT - I just do not seem to have he free tie to make one!

The alternative might be a SkyTee but I think this would need a counter weight with the C8.

Clear Skies

Paul

I've looked at one of those with envious eyes. Looks the business. With the slow-mo's and release clamps, like an AZ4 with all the extra bits you want.

Not sure how it stacks up against the AZ4 (or Versago II) for load capacity. My AZ4 has no problem handling the Skymax 102 or Startravel 120 but also no problem taking the Orion Optics 8" F4.5 newt. In fact the Newt is perfect on the AZ4. The ultimate grab'n'go large aperture setup. Better than a 200P dob as the eyepiece is better placed when standing and its smoother in both axis. I would have thought it would take a C8 in a heartbeat. So providing the Versago III has the same capacity as the Versago II, shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps I can throw another alternative into the mix as well. The Tele Optic Giro Ercole Alt Az mount. It is rated for up to 18kg on each side (for a total load capacity of 36kg), and for OTAs up to approx 8kg (which should cover your C8), no counterweight is required. Perhaps a little bit of German arrogance when I spoke to them, but they believe their manufacturing tolerance is far higher than something like the SkyTee.

I have been using it for about 6 months now (and have owned an older Tele Optic Giro 2 for about 10 years) and the performance has been excellent. There are no slow motion controls, but I have no trouble manually guiding at over 200x. And word on the grapevine is that encoders will be launched in 2013 if you fancy some aid in pointing.

http://www.tele-optic-tecnica.de/giro-ercole.html

Price is around €380, but well worth the investment, especially when travelling and not needing to carry a counterweight (I use mine with a 4" triplet Apo that weighs around 5.5kg when all accessories are attached).

Clear skies,

Archived