Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Telescopes USA

atmenterprises

I've bought a couple of scopes from Orion in recent months and they are always so helpful. Most recently I cracked my polar scope cap. Sent an email to Orion about buying a replacement. It was $15.99 + shipping but they sent it to me free of charge as a warranty replacement.

Always have great service from Orion.

• 1 year later...

Having bought second hand an intelliquest 14" truss dob, the altitude encoder cable needs replacing.

Attached text from mails as they will not sell a replacement, back to the dark ages..

Caveat emptor

Hi XXXXX,
In that case I have a 14” very expensive lump that cannot be used with the intelliscope handset.
This is appalling customer aftercare. How disappointed do you want me to be. If you took a second hand car to a dealer asking for a spare part or service do you think he would turn you away???
Appalled
Damian
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 7:15 PM
To:
Subject: Re:
JUN 03, 2014 | 11:15AM PDT
XXXXX replied:

Dear Damian:

Thank you for contacting Orion Telescopes & Binoculars.

We understand that situations may arise where the purchase of a part may be necessary. Due to the vast array of small component and machined parts that make up our product line it is not practical nor to maintain a complete inventory of spare parts for individual retail sale. We are committed to providing the highest level of support possible to our customer base and will attempt to accommodate any request we can. Proof of purchase is required for the product for which the part is requested from Orion directly, or an Authorized Orion Dealer. Third party purchases are not supported.

We apologize for any disappointment that may be caused, please let us know if we can assist you further

Sincerely,
XXXXX
Orion Telescopes & Binoculars
Customer Service
JUN 03, 2014 | 09:04AM PDT
daregan replied:
Hi XXXXX,

The scope was bought second hand . Are you saying you will not sell spares ??.

It is the Altitude encoder cable 53” long as described in the user handbook.

Best Regards
Damian

Beware all purchasers of Orion Telescopes bought second hand.

They will not supply spares to the aftermarket. see below from Orion Telescope Customer Service !!!

Dear XXXXX,
You are taking the mickey aren’t you. I’m not disappointed, I am outraged, not able to supply a cable for a telescope that Orion built. Not able to supply to after market, come on XXXXX. extrapolate that to everything you own.
Do you think Ford does not supply parts to used cars. That is restrictive practice from the dark ages.
Not able to supply the same level of service , what, take a cable from its storage location put in a bag and send.....
I am sending this thread to SGL to warn ALL purchasers of second hand Orion scopes the level of no service they can expect from Orion. Also to the Department Of Trade And Industry, as this is restrictive trade.
Absolutely outraged
Damian
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 11:51 PM
To: xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re:
JUN 03, 2014 | 03:51PM PDT
XXXXX  replied:

Dear Damian:

Thank you for contacting Orion Telescopes & Binoculars.

I understand your frustration about not being able to order parts, and apologize for the disappointment this has caused. We offer support to our customers who have purchased from Orion Direct or through our Authorized Dealers. Orion strives to offer excellent value by providing complete products designed in-house but that are manufactured overseas. As such,we have a limited selection of parts available to us and,regrettably, are not able to supply the same level of service to third party and aftermarket telescope owners.

Sincerely,
XXXXX
Orion Telescopes & Binoculars
Customer Service

Archived