NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Creating/Importing Observation Lists

EntropyStar

Hi there,

I've recently started logging all my sightings via an app called 'StarLog' (see link at the end) and I'm finding it quite a useful tool. As standard it has the Messier Catalogue saved as an observation list but no others at present. Users can import their own observation lists into the program in either CSV or OAL format. Does any users have any observation lists in these formats? Ie something like 'Open Clusters of N.Hemisphere' or 'Caldwell Catalogue' etc?

Any tips how to create your own and import them? Any users of StarLog?

App Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jvc.starlog_free&hl=en

Many Thanks

I uploaded a load of NGC / IC data from cartes du Ciel into MS Excel and filtered out stuff beyond my reach (based on declination, magnitude and surface brightness).

My target list is about 550 objects at the moment but this can easily be extended.

I also write observations manually and post slightly abridged versions to the Observing Reports section.

It works for me.

Hi EntropyStar,

I am not familiar with StarLog, but I am familiar with CSV and OAL file formats. As other respondents have said, spreadsheets can produce CSV files. If you pursue this option, you will have to make sure that the content of the CSV file that you export from a spreadsheet is intelligible to StarLog. For example, there may be restrictions on column order, formatting of data within columns, etc. Be sure to pay attention to how RA and Declination are specified in the CSV file.

Having co-authored the OAL (OpenAstronomyLog) standard with colleagues in Germany and Belgium, I can tell you that these files *can* contain lists of objects, but they are intended to contain observations. Since OAL isn't intended to be a file containing objects to be observed, most software that supports OAL format does not provide this function. In fact, I believe StarLog is the only software that provides this function presently.

I wish you the best in finding observing lists to use. They are quite handy!

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the link to the Excel observation lists... I was able to generate a bunch of observation lists that I eventually got to upload to Starlog.

But, I noticed that in Starlog it doesn't seem to do anything with the RA and Dec that you include in the upload file. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I missing something?

I may work around it by including that info in the "Size" field and reuploading my lists. The Size field at least gets copied over to your observation entry and then I can cut and paste it out of that field into the description so I can easily get to it. (That is what I did with all the Dreyer notes)... It would be a lot easier to just be able to see the RA and Dec on the bottom of the input form instead of the picture (which doesn't exist anyway when you upload an observation list).

Archived