NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder guider mod for SW 9 x 50 finderscope

idbvideo

I decided to modify my spare Skywatcher 9 x 50 straight through finderscope to use it as a finder guider.

First I removed the backplate off the finderscope.

I took a spare barlow apart and discarded the lens. This leaves the two parts of the metal body. The male barrel and the female barrel.

I made a ring out of polystyrene foam which I sandwiched in between two balsa rings. This was made so that it was a tight fit into the barrel of the finder scope, The hole in the ring was made to fit the male part of the barlow. The ring was fitted and glued onto the male part of the barlow. This assembly was then fitted and glued into the barrel of the finder

IMG_0147_zpsfa10ef8e.jpg

The female part of the barlow is removeable so the finder can still be used with the original backplate and lens as a finder scope!

IMG_0150_zps94964eff.jpg

I modified the female part of the barlow by changing the set screw with a grub screw (3mm dia x 4 mm long)

To use the finder as a finder/guider I simply insert the female part of the barlow thus:

IMG_0154_zps4febcd7f.jpg

Then push the camera into the barrel. Note the grub scew is set so that the camera is a push fit.

IMG_0155_zps2861bc6b.jpg

I have yet to try it out, although it should work as I did a test fit using tape around the barlow earlier to set the rough focus distance and it worked so there should be no issues this time round.

Archived