Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M101 buzzed... (Geminid, Sporadic or Satellite?)

When I was reviewing my exposures from the other night (11th December), I initially thought this might be an early Geminid (or maybe a sporadic?), but on closer inspection, and given that this was a 600s exposure, I then wondered if this might be nothing more than a pesky satellite trail... but then I came back to it possibly being a meteor again as usually satellite trails are solid across the frame (and I know this wouldn't be the ISS as the trail would have been much more prominent and longer). It was captured sometime between 03:26 and 03:36...

(Thankfully this was the only one I got...!)

M101GeminidCrop_zps645a4ae6.jpg

Cheers Allan... :smiley: I've never gone out with the specific intention of imaging meteors but if the weather plays ball I might now feel more inclined to put my 40D on the scope with a wide-angle lens for a few hours just to see what i get next time there's a shower about - It would have been nice to have seen this in colour...

Archived