NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Candy shop

Ags

I got paid a bit of a bonus so I have some cash to spend on astro stuff! I have 500 euros to get rid of before we find something sensible to spend the money on :-)

I have been building up a little portable imaging setup for a couple of of years and have a 1100D, a 50/1.8 lens and a UHC filter. I use my 4SE mount as a barn door, but in the long run I need something lighter and more camping friendly.

I have enough money to get a vixen polarie, or a 100/2.8 macro lens, or I could even get an 85/1.8 and 28/2.8 lens second hand. Or maybe I should get my camera modded...

I knew exactly what to do when I had no money :-(

I am tending towards the 100/2.8 macro. It will do two things well: macro (obviously) and astrophotography. It would leave 100 euros or so which I can save up for a camera modding by Teleskop Service.

I am tempted by the 100/2.0 though - it is a touch cheaper (but they don't come up s/h very often) and lighter, and is as sharp as the macro at f2.8 with less vignetting. But I would lose the macro ability.

Or maybe I will just spend it all on an AZ4 and a 150P :-)

Ah well, now I am veering off towards the EF 85/1.8 and the EF 24/2.8 as a pair. I'm figuring the 24 will be good for my trip to Tromso next year and also for the two (hopefully) big comets in the coming months. The 85/1.8 probably makes more sense on my wibbly wobbly 4SE mount. So that's sorted then :-)

The Polarie is really, really portable and I'm sure you would get great results with it. The Star Lapse doesn't seem as compact as the Polarie but I've never seen one to compare and the ioptron I like the look of, it's a bit cheaper and if it performs as good as the others then why not hold out. With all three options the biggest thing you will have to carry is your tripod by the looks of it, the Polarie will fit in one of my jackets pockets which is useful.

Good glass is good glass however and it's hard to go past that too. I've been looking on sites like MPBphotgraphic which have a good range of second hand lenses, it's well worth a look.

Olly has an EF200L for sale.........................

EEEP! :shocked:

Another time and another place is the sensible option.

Curse you Christmas spending.

MPB Photographic is one of my favorite haunts - I've bought all 2 of my lenses from there :-)

I think this year I will get lenses, and next year I will get a better mount. I'm bending back towards the Astrotrack - it's nice to know it is made in the EU. If funds allow I may also mod my camera this year - I have to pay to get it done, I wouldn't dare do it myself!

The Polarie is really, really portable and I'm sure you would get great results with it. The Star Lapse doesn't seem as compact as the Polarie but I've never seen one to compare and the ioptron I like the look of, it's a bit cheaper and if it performs as good as the others then why not hold out. With all three options the biggest thing you will have to carry is your tripod by the looks of it, the Polarie will fit in one of my jackets pockets which is useful.

My thinking with the starlapse was that it can be upgraded to a very good, guidable GEM. But this would cost 1400 euros - I could get a HEQ5 and an Astrotrac for the same money.

Archived