SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece Glass Stuck...

This may seem a little unusual...

I have a 2" Meade QX 36mm Eyepiece and it required cleaning...I disassembled, cleaned the grime...but when reassembling managed to stick one of the lenses in at an 30-45 degrees angle...it is somewhat tightly jammed...

I don't want to damage the lens/eyepiece...so any ideas...???

I cannot seem to loosen it and did not want to chance forcing it unless the lens will be robust enough...

will a lube like olive oil damage the lens coating (if they are)...???

HELP...!!!

STEVIER

:saturn:

I would keep any sort of lubricants away from the lenses !.

This is a variation on Ron's suggestion really - if you have a drw band you could try wrapping it around the eyepiece body at the appropriate spot (away from the rubber grip if possble) and turn it on. The increase in temperature could be enough to cause the lens housing to expand slightly so that the lens can be moved.

John

I would keep any sort of lubricants away from the lenses !.

This is a variation on Ron's suggestion really - if you have a drw band you could try wrapping it around the eyepiece body at the appropriate spot (away from the rubber grip if possble) and turn it on. The increase in temperature could be enough to cause the lens housing to expand slightly so that the lens can be moved.

John

Ooops :oops: - I meant to say "a dew band" of course !.

John

This might sound odd, but try gently squeezing the tube at right angles to the points where the edges are jammed. Use finger pressure only, but there is a good chance the sides of the tube will move just enough to let the lens drop into place. If you put any lubricants in there, you're going to have to clean the mess out.

Archived