Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

150PL prime focus with Canon DSLR?

I've just picked up a barely used 150PL with an EQ3-2 mount and a dual axes motor for £250! I intend on adding an autoguider port to the dual axes motor handset so I can finally get into some deep sky astrophotography, however I remember the pain I went though with my SW 130M focuser as it didn't have enough inward travel to achieve prime focus with my Canon 550D. (I ended up cutting about 1 cm of plastic off focuser to get it to work). I am hoping that this will not be the case with the 150PL's focuser.

Has anyone been able to achieve prime focus with a canon DSLR with this 'scope?

Cheers,

Alan

• 1 month later...

Hi Alan - I didn't see this topic when you posted it, so I don't know if this reply is still relevant to you... however I'm a SW 150PL on EQ3 owner so I'll give my tuppence worth anyway! :smiley:

I've not attempted any photography with it and I'm not sure it's really set up for imaging "out of the box" (although I do have a DSLR I've just been looking at piggy-backing for some star trail shots). The long tube is only just about stable on the EQ3, and I'm actually looking at getting a heavier duty mount to improve its performance (I think EQ5 should do it for visual only, but I'd be looking at least HEQ5 for any kind of longer exposure AP). There's a 150PL thread where someone has replaced the supplied focuser with a low profile 2" crayford, so that might also be something to consider. Here's a link to the 150PL owners' mods and tips thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/132160-skywatcher-150pl-owners-tips-and-mods/page__st__100__hl__+150pl%20+owner#entry1668777

The biggest problem you're likely to find with the 150PL for AP is that its long focal length makes it "slow" in light gathering terms, so the length of exposure required is significantly increased relative to shorter FL scopes. This doesn't mean it's impossible but you're more likely to have issues with spoiled "subs" over longer periods of time...

I'd be very interested to hear what you manage to get out of your 150PL, AP or visual, it's a lovely piece of kit, and I can't imagine ever selling mine! :smiley:

Archived