Lunar Imaging is progressing

Hi there.

I just thought I'd let you know how I was getting on with my Celeston 130EQ. So far its been up and down. As I've said, I've bought a webcam in the hope of getting better images of the Moon and the planets. However, I have had no luck with the planets, as far as surface detail is concerned. I have had much better luck in the field of Lunar imaging though. I've gotten to grips with Registax and have been producing some really good images (in my opinion). Here is a few:

post-25986-0-87747900-1354319853_thumb.j

post-25986-0-92767900-1354319871_thumb.j

post-25986-0-79024600-1354319882_thumb.j

I'm very pleased with the results but I think I could still do better with some longer videos being taken. I am getting a dslr for Christmas though, hopefully then I shall get some images of the planets!

- bokeh

They look like a good start to me. Practice is everything really. Not sure why you'd be having problems with the planets though getting the EQ1 aligned sufficiently well that a planet will stay on the camera sensor must be quite tricky. I'm really not sure that a DSLR will help, but you will be able to take much wider shots of the moon without a doubt.

James

They look like a good start to me. Practice is everything really. Not sure why you'd be having problems with the planets though getting the EQ1 aligned sufficiently well that a planet will stay on the camera sensor must be quite tricky. I'm really not sure that a DSLR will help, but you will be able to take much wider shots of the moon without a doubt.

James

A DSLR will help with the problem I've been having. At the minute I cannot reduce the gain on the webcam so I can't get any surface detail. With a DSLR I'll be able to reduce the ISO or apperature so I can get some then.

A DSLR will help with the problem I've been having. At the minute I cannot reduce the gain on the webcam so I can't get any surface detail. With a DSLR I'll be able to reduce the ISO or apperature so I can get some then.

Ahh. What model of webcam is it?

James

Hi Bokeh,, They look fine, good attempt, what webcam where you using,I've the same scope as yourself,, i wish mine turned out that good,,i tried taking a video of the moon and using sharpcap and registak to see if i can use them and turned ok ,,i was looking out tru the window at the time which didn't help,but i will post them if i knew how to attact a file(if someone can help with that)

Archived