NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dew and electrics

I did ask this in another thread, but to save hijacking a wider issue, I'll ask separately.

So one question I've long been meaning to ask: when it comes to roll off shed electrics, doesn't dew count as a water source, and does that mean that the open to air part of an obsy needs waterproof sockets?

I wouldn't imagine that it would be a problem to be honest. You get dew on the metal of the mount, the OTA and mirrors/lenses because they're large masses with good thermal conductivity - i.e. they cool down quickly and fall below the dew point temperature. Plastic sockets and plugs shouldn't really dew up that much although if it's a concern you could simply box them in. That would be a lot cheaper than fitting weatherproof sockets. :)

If you are talking about a mains supply then absolutely - use proper outdoor weatherproof sockets and make sure there's an RCD on the supply.

If 12v, then just make sure all your gear is individually fused and if the fuse goes, don't just wrap it in foil and carry on regardless - find out why it went - I've seen some bad damage done to expensive kit down the years because 'the power supply has a fuse' (meaning the one in the plug) or 'I thought it would be OK to connect it direct to the leisure battery' (which will turn over a lorry engine or blow a chunk out of an 18" screwdriver shaft if you short the terminals with it)... OK - you're not likely to harm yourself with shorting 12v kit through moisture, but it can damage the kit quite severely.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I do have an RCD on my supply, and the obsy spur is also separately fused.

I planned to have waterproof sockets, and waterproof boxes to contain 4-way sockets and power supplies.

I won't have the luxury of a warm room so that's really my only option.

An RCD on the incoming mains is a must for various reasons.

Waterproof sockets are a bit more argumentative.

My roll off shed has standard sockets. As does my garage, which is prone to 'outside' air.

I have yet to suffer any problems from condensation. Whether that be an RCD trip, fizz and spark, or a shock.

I suspect that if dew got so bad that sockets were getting, damp, I would have given up and gone indoors long ago. Buit if i went inside and left the roof open all night...

Think about sockets in your house. Kitchens are often prone to condensation from cooking, etc. Utility rooms from clothes washing/drying. Is your washing machine fed from a waterproof socket? What about all your over worktop sockets?

Bathrooms are of course a different kettle of fish altogether with the possibility of spraying water onto electrics. But then again. Shaver sockets aren't waterproof. Light fixings aren't waterproof.

My take is that waterproof sockets are not essential. Even with these fitted, what happens if you decide to unplug or insert something?

I will now duck for cover while the replies come in!

Interesting to hear these views. It makes a big difference cost wise so I'm vey keen to follow the debate.

Regarding RCD, that is a given.

If you're really worried about dew and damp, either box them in or build in a small shelf above them to add some protection. :)

Archived