Collimator ?

A collimation tool is not so much a benefit as an essential purchase for lining up the mirrors in any reflector. If your scope isn't collimated the views wont be as crisp and clear and in bad cases can have very poor focus. And it will loose collimation eventually - especially if you move it around a lot. My preference is the Hotech laser collimator but there are other types that folks swear by. Someone will describe those for you :)

I too have the hotech and would recommend it but it is not the cheapest one out there (£100!). As an alternative to a laser type collimator, you might like to consider a manual one such asthis one from FLO which will do the job adequately enough. As a guide to using this collimator it to align the optical path of your scope, I would recommend this written guide, "Astrobaby's Guide to Collimation" as well as

his set of videos (1-9) from 'Astronomyshed' if you want a more comprehensive visual demonstration. Both of these together I think would advise you of all the possibilities that you need to do to perform an accurate collimation of your scope. These are guides are very detailed for your understanding of the process but in practice collimation is not a difficult or time consuming activity and normally only requires the occasional adjustment now and again. If you store and handle your scope with care (especially during transportation e.g to a dark site) then you will minimise the need for any adjustment at all.

Clear skies

James

Archived