NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan Handset AZ3.07

While going through the set up procedure and getting to where you put in the longitude and latitude coordinates, I find that after entering the latitude and pressing the enter key the cursor returns to the 3rd number in the latitude numbers instead of going to the next section. My latitude is 51.722516 N. As there are only two spaces after the decimal point (72) are the numbers put in. I have tried the set up procedure many times using the same numbers (72) with no success. It will not go to the next section until I enter two different numbers which are the following numbers for my latitude (25). The closest numbers that are accepted to 72 are 59, it will then go to the next section. The rest of the set up procedure is fine. The Lat. position that is accepted is at least 20-30 miles away from my observing position. Is it important to have the exact coordinates entered or is 20-30 miles OK.

The Longitude must also be entered in degrees and minutes so it could be that if the decimals that you entered for your longitude are less than 60 then the figures have been accepted even though they are incorrect for your location as they will have been incorrectly interpreted by the system. Once you have entered your Latitude and Longitude in the correct format (degrees and Minutes), you will not have to re-enter these again unless you change your viewing location as they are stored 'permanently' in the hand-controller - you will, however, have to enter the date and time at the start of each session as these are not updated once you have switched off.

Dec and RA only apply to co-ordinates in the night sky and have no connection with your geographical location.

Archived