NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rotate Selection in GIMP

Any GIMP gurus out there? I am trying to rotate an image in GIMP2.6.

When I image the sun I find it difficult to orient the image north at the top in the viewfinder, especially if I am in a hurry and / or dodging clouds! So I want to be able to do this after the event if need be. I assumed it would be easy to do but I am struggling! See below output from this process, note the ring shaped outline at the boundary where I made the selection. This is only evident after the rotation process and whatever I try I cannot prevent it from happening.

post-16479-0-68563200-1352757507_thumb.j

Process I am using is this:-

Eliptical select just slightly larger than the solar disk

Layers - Transform - Arbitrary Rotation

Use Slider to adjust rotation

Layers - Anchor Layer

Any ideas ? :confused:

Thanks

Hi David ,

Not sure about V 2.6 as I'm on 2.8 but I'm guessing there's not much difference . . .

I crop my shots first to put disc in centre frame , this makes rotating easier as you're rotating round the centre-point of a square .

I then just use Tools - Transform tools - Rotate , then Bucket fill the corners that are left askew.

Steve.

Hi David ,

Not sure about V 2.6 as I'm on 2.8 but I'm guessing there's not much difference . . .

I crop my shots first to put disc in centre frame , this makes rotating easier as you're rotating round the centre-point of a square .

I then just use Tools - Transform tools - Rotate , then Bucket fill the corners that are left askew.

Steve.

PS . I now make sure that the camera is always aligned the same way now , the disc is probably not perfectly orientated . . . but at least all of them are wrong the same way . . makes the monthly animation a lot easier .. .

Archived