Looks like I may be ill. I think I'm turning green.

JamesF

The real problem here Dave is they often go hand in hand. Large scopes are often fast scopes, needing well corrected eyepieces to get the most out of them. You seldom see budget eyepieces in large Dobs. Often Televue or Pentax oculars are seen hanging out of the focusers. ;)

This is exactly how I got into the situation :)

I built a dob using the primary mirror from the 250PX which is f/4.7. My trusty 32mm GSO/Revelation Plossl that I've used for ages and been very happy with just isn't up to handling such fast optics and it was horrible to use with the dob. I decided there wasn't much point spending a moderate amount of cash on an eyepiece that would still show faults, so I ended up going for a second hand 27mm Panoptic which has been a joy to use.

Then Jupiter reached the point where it's not a problem to view at sociable hours and I discovered that whilst my BGOs are still quite pleasant to use and do a perfectly acceptable job, the narrow field of view means I spent more time chasing the target than actually observing, so some wide field short focal length eyepieces were the logical solution. Enter the 5mm Nagler.

I'll definitely be adding some more, but the way things are it will only be "pre-enjoyed" ones.

James

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived