Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thursday night - Central London

deckardbr

Looks like Thursday could be the night available this week for stargazing... According to current forecasts.

Problem: I can't do stargazing from where I live (no garden etc) so need a public and safe place.

On Fri/Sat I know the hampstead Heath observatory is open... But what about Thursday nights?

Is there a place where fellow amateur astronomers meet up in central London? I can only travel via tube or taxi (reasonable distance :)).

By central I mean zone 1-3.

Is anybody planning a session to which I can 'tag along'?

Thanks

Andrea

Couple of alternatives.

The Baker Street Irregular Astronomers meet once a month at the Hub in Regents Park (next meeting will either be Nov 16/17/18), though this is officially sanctioned by the Royal Parks Authority so I am not sure you can just go in there, scope in hand at other times of the month.

Primrose Hill has been mentioned to me a few times (top of the hill) but I have heard that there is a lot of artificial lighting there which restricts its usefulness to planetary work.

A few months ago, 5 of us used Wimbledon Common (by the Windmill museum) to view the conjunction of Saturn and Mars, but I would not really recommend that unless you are in a group.

Clear skies,

Thanks, yes I've been at the 'irregulars' meeting and looking forward to the next one in mid November. I don't believe you can access the park on other nights, as you pointed out. Not sure about primrose either... But unless it is a group going I wouldn't trust it :)

I'll also try to contact the flamsteed group at Greenwich, which also meet every once in a while...

I was just hoping there were other astronomy clubs in London that I was unaware of :)

I'd hate it to miss the only good stargazing night in London this week... :(

Archived