NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filters and Eyepieces

op47

I have just bought a Meade eyepiece. My telescope is a Skywatcher along with the eyepieces and moon filter that came with it. When I tried to attach the moon filter to the new eyepiece, it would not fit. Would it be expected to fit i.e. is the filter mounting thread standard accross makes of eyepieces?

Thankyou

If the filter is the correct size, ie: the same fitting as the eyepiece, then it should screw into the threads at the bottom of the chrome eyepiece barrel. Sometimes they can be a little tight or loose depending on how accurately the eyepieces and the filters have been machined but generally they fit and different brands should mix and match. Does the thread on the bottom of the eyepiece look completely circular ? - if an eyepiece has been dropped it's possible for the barrel to become misshaped a little which would stop a filter going on.

John,

Thankyou for answering. It just kept cross threading and in the end I couldn't tell if they were mean't to fit. Now you have told me that they should, I soon got it to fit. thankyou again.

Archived